Pages

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

I'm a Little Teapot





So much pink! I was very excited to make such a pink cake. A good friend asked if I would consider making a three dimensional teapot cake for her daughter's third birthday this past December. I needed to do just a bit of research before saying "yes" to this cake, since I had heard that covering a sphere with fondant can be tricky. I needed to be sure I could pull it off.

After researching a little, I realized that it probably wouldn't be that hard, and agreed to the cake. We went into planning mode and decided on two shades of pink with some simple flowers.

The day came to cover the cake. It went fairly well...except for the moment when I was holding the cake upside down in my hands yelling for my husband to come help me! We managed to get the cake upright and after smoothing out the fondant I was very happy with how it covered. I was so excited to get decorating that I sat at the table that entire evening, playing with pink fondant coming up with a few extra cute details to the cake.

The next day I made rice cereal treats and molded the handle and spout. The spout was a little tricky, but the handle came together quite easily. I covered them in fondant and went to work adhering them with piping gel and toothpicks. The handle was pretty easy to place, but that spout was giving me some trouble. I had placed it too low and was nervous to move it higher. In the end, I did move it higher, and was so glad I risked it.

I spent the rest of that evening placing the flowers and finishing the cake with a little pearl dust. I was truly happy to see the finished product. The hours of planning and work were worth it, for sure!

I had also made 24 mini cupcakes with pink icing and flower fondant toppers to go with this cake. They looked absolutely adorable together. My son and I were lucky enough to attend this birthday party and sample the cake and cupcakes. So tasty! The birthday girl was also thrilled with her own little teapot!



This is the last of my "past cakes" series! I have three cakes that I've just done this January to share with you in the next couple of weeks. I do believe they are some of my best work so far. I feel as though I have come really far in my creative journey these past months!

No comments:

Post a Comment