Pages

Sunday, January 9, 2011

An Attempt at Topsy Turvy



The topsy turvy cake has always intrigued me, with that top tier looking like it's going to slide right off the bottom. So this past August, when a friend asked me to make a cake for her sister's bridal shower and didn't have a specific design in mind, I asked if I could make a topsy turvy cake. She gave me the go-ahead to try something new and different (which was a bit of a risk on her part) and I started my research.

You Tube is a wealth of information for cake decorating. I choose my inspiration cake, watched a few videos and then wondered what I had gotten myself into! But the challenge was what excited me so much! Through my research I learned how to balance that top cake and went to work.

Unfortunately my cakes didn't turn out as high as I had hoped, but I didn't have time to make more so I worked with what I had. After carving the cakes (which was actually less difficult than I thought it was going to be) I was cautiously hopeful that this cake was going to work out.

If you can believe it, the biggest hurdle to this cake was actually the humidity! If you're familiar with fondant at all, you'll know that heat and humidity are not a friend. The fondant was sticky and I should have turned on the air conditioning much sooner than I did.

Once the cakes were covered, I started decorating, which is my favorite part of any cake. All those details give cakes their personality, and this cake was going to be fun! It took forever to roll all those fondant and chocolate balls, but in the end it was worth it. I was very pleased with how it turned out, and I learned so incredibly much. I would love to make another topsy turvy cake again someday, and really play up the angles with higher cakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment