Pages

Thursday, January 6, 2011

The Doctor Cake






This past summer I was asked by my husband, N's, boss if I might be interested in making a nice cake for a farewell party they were having for one of his co-workers. This co-worker had been accepted into Med School and was leaving the organization to pursue this new career. So, N and I took a look online to see what some possibilities could be. We saw this design and thought it was really fun, but I can remember distinctly saying "No, I don't think I could do that...it's too hard!" However, I thought about it that night and after deconstructing the cake into steps, it seemed like it could be do-able. I did, however, have a back-up plan. I figured if the cake was awful, I would whip up some cupcakes and make little fondant bandages for toppers. I don't think I could have done this cake without that back-up plan!

So I forged ahead. I covered the cake with fondant twice. Yes, twice. The first time I had rolled the fondant way too thin and hadn't made the piece big enough to cover the cake properly. So I chucked it and tried again. Success! That was half the battle to me.

I spent the rest of that evening getting the tie and shirt just right. The shirt collar was also a hurdle. After several attempts, I can remember telling myself..."do it one more time and call it good"...and it was perfect! I couldn't believe my luck! I propped up the collar with some plastic wrap and went to bed. The next day I put the lapels, the stethoscope on. It was looking so good! I could hardly believe it! I gave it a few extra details and stopped working, stood back, and was truly proud of what I had accomplished.

In light of those huge and impressive cakes that you see on T.V. it was nothing, but in terms of my creative journey, this was a massive step!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! Don't even compare yourself to what you see on tv. You are better than that! You are one woman working alone in her kitchen with two babies around.

    Can't wait to see what else you have up your sleeve!

    ReplyDelete