Pages

Saturday, January 1, 2011

How this all began...

Never did I imagine myself to become a lover of cakes, especially seeing as I haven't been one to eat a lot of cake. But I really wanted to make birthday cakes for my kids. Really nice birthday cakes. This was important to me as I have very fond memories of the homemade cakes my mom lovingly made and decorated when I was a kid and wanted to give my kids the opportunity to have those same memories. So I took a couple of short decorating courses.

The first course I took was all about buttercream. It was fun, and I made a cute basketball cake for my oldest son, O's birthday, but fondant is what really intrigued me. So I took another course. This time to learn how to work with fondant. The course was pretty basic but gave me the tools to tackle a few cakes. The first cake we made was to look like a present. This was my first attempt at rolling and draping fondant. I had fun with it, but it certainly was far from perfect. The second cake was a two tier design with 40 handmade fondant roses. I made each and every rose on that cake. Not difficult, but incredibly time consuming. I was skeptical that they would make the cake look nice, but in the end I was pleased with the effect. Of course it would have had a much nicer look if the cakes had been stacked higher, but I wasn't sure what to do with all this cake! So it just made sense to do each tier with one layer in order to cut down on all the cake lying around my house!

With my new skills I was ready to tackle O's third birthday cake. A football. Simple design, not much to mess up. I felt like it turned out beautifully and gave me the confidence to try something a little more difficult.

Through the next few posts I will be going through the cakes I have done in the past. I am starting in the past in order to give you a feel for the creative journey I am on. I have never considered myself a creative person, but always wanted to be one. I have been thrilled this past year to find out that I just might have one creative bone in my body, and that I can express it through cake!

4 comments:

  1. These are all really impressive Julia. You do have an eye, and after working with you on a cake, I see you have a lot of perfectionism in you to make these cakes look exactly how your mind perceives them. That is a gift...you are one dedicated, and yes, CREATIVE, woman!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to read more about your creative "birth" and see some awesome cake pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your cakes, Juls! I'm so glad you've decided to start a blog, and I can't wait to see more pictures!

    ReplyDelete