Pages

Friday, June 22, 2012

The Little Fire Engine That Could


This cake was for my littlest boy, who turned two back in February (this is how behind I am with my blog!)  He was obsessed with fire trucks for a few months, and I knew a fire engine cake would absolutely thrill him.  I just about didn't do it since I had no idea how to go about carving a fire engine. But after searching on the internet for awhile and finding a really simple way to stack and carve the cakes, it all came together in my head.  Getting my head around the cake is half the battle!


After stacking, carving and covering the cakes, my DH and I worked on the decorating together.  It was a lot more fun to do it together, and my DH had all sorts of ideas how to make the cake special with some cute details.  He kept asking if he was taking over my cake, but I couldn't have been more thankful for his help!

The last little detail we added was our little boy's name written with the hose.  I rolled that hose so many times!  The fondant kept on drying and cracking each time we tried to write his name.  I'm glad we persevered, though.  It just adds so much to the cake.


Our son was a little overwhelmed with all the people, so didn't show terribly much emotion during his party.  However when the cake came out, his eyes got just a little wider.  I think he approved.  I love making these cakes for my kids. 

Speaking of kids, we'll be welcoming a third addition to our family this Fall!  Hopefully early this coming October!  Sadly this pregnant body is just in no shape to create cakes so I am taking a break.  It's really hard on the back to hover over a cake for hours on end.  Not to mention the fact that I've got two little boys to run after!  I've got a few more cakes to blog about that I completed earlier this year, and then it will just be a post here and there about cakes I create for my kids. 







No comments:

Post a Comment