Pages

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Can we build it? Yes we can!


No, not Bob the Builder, but this cake makes me think Bob the Builder with all the construction going on! This was the first cake where I used plastic toys on top. I like it! It really works well with the whole construction theme.

I looked around for awhile for some inspiration for this cake. The only thing that was super cute was a cake decorated to look like a large chunk of cake was being taken out by a backhoe. The backhoe I had to use was pretty small, so my DH suggested cutting a hole into the middle of the cake to make it look like it was digging. I loved that idea! So I cut the hole, smeared in some buttercream and pressed in some oreo crumbs to make it look like dirt. I also put a little piping gel onto the hoe of the backhoe in order to dirty it with more oreo crumbs. My DH also gave me the idea of piling a mound of piping gel beside the backhoe and cover it with crumbs. It worked beautifully and won't just fly off the cake with the slightest bit of wind. Even though I've got two boys, I'm not terribly familiar with how all the construction vehicles work together. My DH is responsible for the placement of all the machinery on the cake. I'm so thankful for his input!


Once I had most of the elements on the cake, it was all looking a bit brown, so I added a strip of grass beside the road, and the colorful chocolate rocks in the dump truck and beside the front end loader are such a fun addition.

The last element was David's name being pushed in with the excavator. I love that part! I added some traffic cones and ribbon around the bottom to give a little dimension and called it good.




No comments:

Post a Comment