Pages

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Stop in the name of...cake?




I had the pleasure of making this Police Car cake for a good friend's little boy who just turned 4 years old! When my friend asked me to make this cake, I figured that it would be really difficult to carve a good car shape. So instead of carving the car, I cheated and used a three dimensional car pan. I was a little sad that I didn't attempt the carving, but in the end I liked how it turned out and it made the process so much less stressful. Although I did carve out the wheels so I could add more realistic-looking fondant wheels.

It was a lot of fun to think of the details on this cake. I was especially excited to make little piles of chocolate rocks (don't they look so real?!) and have fondant grass poking out of it. To me it's the details the make a cake an entire experience...not just a regular cake. Two details, however, I cannot take credit for, and that are the license plates. My husband volunteered to meticulously cut out "Elijah" for the front plate and "Is 4!" for the back plate. He did an amazing job! Hard to believe this was his first time working with fondant!


I also made 24 mini cupcakes for the party. Going along the Police theme, I hand cut 12 Police badges with the number "4" in the center as toppers. The other 12 cupcakes had a star topper. They were so adorable!


I now have a few weeks of a break until the next cake! As usual, I'm excited to start planning!

5 comments:

  1. very cool julia. So fun to see what you're up to in that kitchen of yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anika has been waiting eagerly for this post, since you mentioned last week that you would have a new post this week. Every day, she has asked about it. When she finished reading your post today, she said, "Write a new post soon, Auntie Julia!" She may be your biggest fan. I'm a close second...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you cut the top of the 3D car pan flat by chance?? Your fondant work is amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Crystal, not sure if you're going to pop by here again, but just in case, I wanted to answer your question. I actually didn't cut the top of the cake at all. It came out very flat from the pan. When I covered in buttercream I made sure to keep the flat top and clean edges. Chilling the cake really well after buttercreaming will help the fondant keep that sharp look. It's taken me some time to figure that one out. And thanks! I try to work as cleanly as possible, but you'll often notice a ribbon at the bottom of my cakes. I love how it hides any small puckers that might be there!

    ReplyDelete