Pages

Monday, February 14, 2011

Snowy Wedding







I had the privilege of making a cake for my cousin's wedding last month! This was my first wedding cake and I was given quite a bit of creative license, which was awesome and scary all at the same time. She just wanted a small cutting cake since they were already having a served dessert. So this was an 8" bottom tier with a 4" top.

After we decided that the theme of the cake would be "snowflakes", I started to think about how to make snowflakes that look real...not just like cut-outs. I started searching online, and came across these incredibly detailed snowflake moulds that could be used with fondant. Each fondant snowflake was pressed into individual moulds and frozen in order to maintain the incredible detail of the delicate flakes. Then the snowflakes were dried so they could be painted silver before being adhered to the cake. The cake was finished with silver balls and dark purple ribbon (silver, white and dark purple were her wedding colors...beautiful combination). Everything went fairly well, except for a few fondant challenges, but nothing that couldn't be overcome with a little extra work.

Since the cake couldn't be stacked before delivery I couldn't get any great pictures. My camera is just a little point-and-shoot and the dim lighting of the reception hall made for some terrible pictures (sure made for an incredible ambiance, though). Ends up that I was lucky enough to meet the talented Becky Radtke, who was photographing the wedding with b2 Photography. She graciously agreed to send me some pictures of the cake! I'm so thrilled with these pictures! Just so happens she's also launching a new Photography business, Jack and Ruby Photography. Check out her websites! Thanks so much, Becky!

You'll also notice some of the pictures have cupcakes. My sister and I make yummy homemade cupcakes and cookies with our little label, Barely Burnt Cookies and More! My sister made mini cupcakes topped with shimmery white chocolate snowflakes. Check out our blog here!




All in all, this was a great experience. And creatively speaking, I feel like I've found a bit of a groove. I'm learning so much with each cake, and am thankful for each opportunity to do so!

1 comment: